Health Room

Health Room photo

Our focus in the health room includes maintaining a healthy learning environment, teaching independent health habits, and supporting the psychological and physical well being of our students, families, and staff.

We provide the following services:

  • Basic vision and hearing screenings
  • Immunization and disease monitoring
  • Injury and illness care during school
  • Administering medication
  • Health education
  • Resources and referrals
  • and more!

Health Forms

Meet the Nurse

Carol Ward

Carol Ward
RN, School Nurse

My name is Carol Ward and I am pleased to be the Registered Nurse at Inglemoor. 

I have been working as a School Nurse in the Northshore School District since 2008, spending the first five years at Sunrise and Hollywood Hill Elementary Schools. Prior to School Nursing, I spent 16 years working in hospitals and acute care settings including outpatient pediatrics, allergy/asthma/immunology, neonatal and adult intensive care. 

As the health advocate for our Viking community, I can best serve your children if I am informed of changes in their health status, including new or resolved medical or mental health diagnosis, medication changes and immunization updates. Please promptly communicate questions or concerns by your preferred method of contact below.

Be careful out there! GO VIKINGS!


Immunization Requirements

The date of immunizations or illness must be on file with the school nurse prior to school entry.
Washington State's School Immunization Law RCW 28A.210.080 requires documentation of immunization at the time of school registration. A completed certificate of immunization status (CIS) (Spanish) or certificate of exemption (COE) (Spanish) signed by the parent/guardian must be on file at the school on or before the student's first day at school.  It is the responsibility of the parent/guardian to obtain the required documentation, complete the form AND turn it in to the school before the student can start school.
Minimum Entry requirements for school attendance:  Immunization Requirements - WA State Department of Health.
If your student's immunizations are deficient, the school nurse will contact you. Please be sure to notify the school nurse of all up-dates. 

Immunizations are available from your own health care provider, Community Health Centers and local pharmacies.  Where to Obtain Immunizations can be found below.

Immunization Record Sharing with the Washington State Department of Health: Washington State Immunization Information System (WAIIS)

The Northshore School District is part of a state immunization record tracking system that includes immunization data from area doctors’ offices and health care providers. The district is transitioning all immunization documentation and record keeping to the Washington State Immunization System (WAIIS).  This information system makes it much easier for us to get copies of your child’s immunization record, a requirement for school entry under Washington State law.  This information is used solely to help protect your child and prevent disease by improving the quality and timeliness of records and services in our community. The information can only be shared with entities authorized by Washington law (RCW 70.02) to receive it, such as doctors, nurses, public health entities and schools (Family Educational Records Privacy Act). In addition, the information can only be used for immunization record keeping.

Parent permission is required to share immunization information with WAIIS which can be provided by signing the CIS form. In an effort to update the WAIIS with your child’s current immunization records, we require healthcare provider verified documentation of some or all of your child’s immunizations.

Parents and guardians have access to the WAIIS through a new web portal called MyIR. This secure online system pulls data from the WA Immunization Information System (WAIIS) and will auto populate your child’s Certificate of Immunization Status (CIS) with immunizations contained in the IIS. Parents can print, sign, and submit the CIS to the school or preschool/child care. Information about this new system can be found at Immunizations - WA State Department of Health

Where to Obtain Immunization

Immunizations may be obtained from your private health provider, certain Public Health Department locations or Community Health Centers. The Public Health and Community Centers have sliding fee scales and accept medical coupons. They do not accept private insurance. Contact the specific center for hours and fees. **BRING YOUR IMMUNIZATION RECORDS WITH YOU. You may also contact the school nurse at the school your child will attend for more information or assistance for any health needs.

Community Health Access Program: a resource for medical/dental care for students and families in King County.

Call (800) 756-5437 or for assistance with accessing health care & health care coverage for your family.

Community Health Centers
The Community Health Centers offer immunizations as part of a clinical visit. Call for information and/or appointment for medical services. Services are available on a sliding-fee scale:
HealthPoint Bothell 

10414 Beardslee Blvd Suite 100
Bothell, WA 98011
(425) 486-0658

HealthPoint Redmond
16225 NE 87th St.
Together Center Bldg B

Redmond, WA
(425) 882-1697

Immunization Information Links


Medication at School

If your student will be taking any medication at school, you must confer with the school nurse.

The Northshore School District recommends that medication be taken at home whenever possible. We recognize, however, that in some cases it is essential that medication be administered during the school day. 

For the protection of all the students and to comply with Washington state law, the district has a policy and procedures in place for the handling of ALL medications in the schools. For school events that occur outside of school hours (e.g. extended field trips and athletic events) parents/guardians are responsible for providing all medications.

Please do not put any kind of medicine, including Tylenol, vitamins, and cough drops in your child's lunch box, backpack or pockets. 
Unidentified medicine can never be given at school.

Medication at School - School Staff Administration 

The following conditions must be met:

  • All medications, whether over-the-counter or prescription, need a current Northshore Medication Authorization Form (available for download on the right) signed by the student's physician/dentist and parent/guardian. 
  • Medication must be delivered to school in a properly labeled prescription or original over-the-counter container. The student's name must be on the label with proper identification of the drug, dosage, and directions for administration. 
  • A quantity sufficient for no more then one month can be sent to school.
  • The medication order is effective for the current school year only. 
  • If changes in the medication order occur, the parent is responsible for notifying the school and providing verification from the physician/dentist.
  • Field Trips: For students on daily medication, request an extra labeled empty bottle from your pharmacy that can be used for field trips.

Student Self-Administered Medication 

The following conditions must be met:

In appropriate cases and with the knowledge of the school nurse, the parent/guardian can delegate the responsibility for self-administration of medication to the student. In doing so, the parent releases the school district from any obligation to monitor the student and assumes full responsibility for the student's use of the medication.

Self-Administration does not apply to controlled substances e.g codiene, Vicodin
The student may carry only a one-day supply (1 - 2 doses) of the medication.
The medication must be in the original container.
The student must have written permission to self-medicate signed by the parent/guardian.

Medication to be self-administered for more than fifteen (15) consecutive days whether over-the-counter or prescription, requires a current Northshore Medication Authorization Form signed by the student's physician/dentist and parent/guardian stating that the student may self-medicate. Additionally the student must demonstrate his/her ability to correctly evaluate his/her symptoms and use the medication appropriately.


Student Self-Administered Asthma and Anaphylaxis medications:

When a parent requests that his/her student be allowed to self-administer medication for asthma and/or anaphylaxis (severe allergic reaction), a Medication Authorization Form must be filled out and signed by the Health Care Provider and parent/guardian. The permission form must contain a treatment plan for what to do in case of an emergency. The Health Care Provider must also provide training for the student to recognize symptoms and the correct use of medications. Additionally the student must demonstrate his/her ability to correctly evaluate his/her symptoms and use of medications to the school nurse including how to access help when needed. (RCW 28A.210.370 and School District Policy 3419) 
 You can also obtain the Medication Authorization Form in the school office.

Medication Forms

When Should My Child Stay Home?


Contagious illness is always with us and can be spread in a variety of ways. For example, the flu is spread when a person who has a virus coughs, sneezes or speaks and sends the virus into the air. The virus enters the nose, throat or lungs of another person and multiplies. It is important to teach everyone not to share personal items such as food, drink containers, water bottles, lipstick etc as these items can harbor and transfer germs between people. 

We are trying to ensure that all of our students and staff stay as healthy as possible. Hand washing is the number one way to reduce spread of illness. We are reminding students to be diligent in washing their hands while at school. Hand gel will be available to students, especially in rooms that do not have access to sink and water. In order for hand gel to be effective, it must contain at least 60% alcohol. Getting enough sleep at night and good nutrition also play a role in staying healthy. Flu shots are recommended for all children age 6mo to 18yrs and adults over 50, especially those with chronic health conditions.

When your child is ill, he/she is more likely to contract other illnesses. Your child also exposes other students and staff when he/she comes to school sick. If your child has any of the symptoms below, please keep him/her at home until the symptoms subside.

These are the same guidelines that the school nurse uses to evaluate students who may need to go home:

  • APPEARANCE/BEHAVIOR: unusually tired, difficult to wake, pale, skin rash, lack of appetite; these are often signs of underlying illness.
  • FEVER: temperature of 100 degrees or higher. Child may be sent home without a fever if other symptoms are present.
  • SORE THROAT: especially with fever and/or swollen glands.
  • VOMITING/DIARRHEA: within the past 24 hours.
  • NASAL DRAINAGE/COUGH: yellow or green nasal drainage and/or chronic coughing may prevent your child or other students from being able to concentrate. They may expose others to illness, especially if they cannot control their secretions. Severe coughs should be evaluated by a health care provider to rule out Pertussis or "whooping cough". 
  • RASH: Any rash of unknown cause should be considered contagious. Please have your child examined by a health care provider to determine the cause and communicability of the rash before sending him/her to school. The school may require a note from the health care provider stating that the rash is not contagious.
  • Other: For other specific diseases or health difficulties it is always a good idea to contact the school nurse. We are happy to share information and resources anytime!
Students should be fever-free without fever reducing medication and no vomiting/diarrhea for 24 hours before returning to school.

It is not unusual for students to feel better in the morning and then worse as the day goes along. The school is not equipped for prolonged care of your sick child. We require that you or an emergency contact will pick up your sick child within the hour that you are called. It is important for the school to have a list of local emergency contacts that are available to pick up your child in the event that we are not able to reach you. Please notify the school if there are changes to your contacts.

We need everyone's cooperation, to be better able to provide a healthy learning environment for our students and staff members.
Thank you for your cooperation.


Con los posibilidades de la temporada de gripe severa este año, estamos intentando a asegurar que todos los estudiantes y personal de la escuela se quedan los mas sanos que sean posibles. La gripe infecta otras personas cuando la infectada tos, estornude, o hable y se pasa los gérmenes por el aire. Este virus se entra por la nariz, garganta, o los pulmones de la persona y empieza a multiplicar. No es tan fácil a infectarse con la gripe no mas en tocar el mismo superficie de la persona infectada, tiene que ser algo mas directo como el aire.

Pruebas dicen que lavando las manos seguido es una de las mejores maneras de evitar enfermedades. Por eso nosotros estamos recordando a los estudiantes cuando es necesario a lavarse las manos. También, es muy importante a dormir suficiente y comer bien. Pregúntele a su doctor sobre la inyección de la gripe.

Si su hijo/a tiene estas síntomas, por favor recuérdele que se tiene que quedar en casa hasta que se mejore. Estas son las mismas reglas que la enfermera usa cuando manda a los niños a su casa.

  • APARICIóN / COMPORTAMIENTO: raramente cansada, dificultad a despertarlo, pálido, ronchas, falta de apetito, estos son lo señales de enfermedad.
  • CALENTURA: temperatura mas de 100 grados. Si asista la escuela y tiene calentura lo vamos a volver a mandarlo a casa.
  • DOLOR DE GARGANTA: especialmente con calentura y anginas inchadas.
  • VOMITO / DIARREA: en los ultimas 24 horas
  • FLUYENDO DE LA NARIZ / TOS: Fluido verde o Amarillo, tos que puede prevenir su hijo y otros a aprender o concentrar. Puede ser contagioso por otros niños y mas cuando tiene dificultad a controlar a sus fluidos.

Los estudiantes deben ser libre de fluidos(mocos) y no vomito ni diarrea por 24 horas antes de regresar a la escuela.

No es inusual que se siente bien en la mañana y se mas enfermo tarde en el día. Es muy importante que la escuela tiene una lista de contactos de emergencia en caso que no podemos localizar a usted. Por favor notifique la escuela si hay cambios en dirección, números de teléfonos etc.

Cuando su hijo esta enfermo es mas fácil a enfermarse de otras cosas. Su hijo también infecta a otros cuando esta enfermo y viene a la escuela. No estamos equipados para cuidar a su hijo cuando esta enfermo. Esperamos que alguien recoger a su hijo mas tardado una hora después que hablamos.

Necesitamos que todos se cooperan, para poder a proveer un ambiente de aprendizaje sano para su hijo y nuestro personal.

Gracias por su cooperación.

Medicamentos en la Escuela

Medicamentos en la Escuela

Si su hijo va a estar tomando cualquier medicamento en la escuela, debe comunicarse con la enfermera de la escuela.

El Northshore School District recomienda que se tomen los medicamentos en casa cuando sea posible. Sin embargo, reconocemos que en algunos casos es esencial que un medicamento se administre durante el día escolar. Para la protección de todos los estudiantes y para acatar la ley del estado de Washington, el distrito tiene una política y procedimientos en lugar para el manejo de TODOS los medicamentos en las escuelas.

Por favor no ponga ninguna clase de medicamento, incluyendo aspirina, vitaminas y pastillas para la tos en la lonchera, mochila o bolsillo de su hijo. Medicamentos no identificados nunca pueden ser tomados en la escuela.

Las siguientes condiciones deben ser cumplidas:

  • Todos los medicamentos, sea con receta o sin receta, necesitan un Formulario de Autorización Para Dar Medicamentos actual y firmado por el médico/dentista del estudiante y padre/guardian.
  • Los medicamentos deben ser entregados a la escuela en su envase original adecuadamente rotulado o en su paquete original si es sin receta. El nombre del estudiante debe aparecer en el rótulo con una identificación apropiada del medicamento, dosis e instrucciones de consumo.
  • Medicamentos que se den por más de quince (15) días escolares consecutivos requieren instrucciones adicionales del médico/dentista.
  • Una cantidad suficiente como para durar sólo un mes puede ser enviada a la escuela.
  • La orden médica solamente tiene validez por el actual año escolar.
  • Si ocurre algún cambio en la orden médica, el padre es el que es responsable para notificar a la escuela y proveer una verificación del médico/dentista.
  • Paseos: Para estudiantes con medicamentos diarios, pídale a su farmacéutico un recipiente vacío que pueda ser utilizado para los paseos.

¿Cuándo puede el estudiante tomar sus medicamentos solo?

En casos apropiados y con tal de que lo sepa la enfermera de la escuela, el padre/guardian puede asignar esta responsabilidad al estudiante. Pero en tal caso el padre/apoderado libera a la escuela de toda responsabilidad de supervisar al estudiante y se asume toda la responsabilidad en cuanto al uso del medicamento del estudiante.
  • El estudiante puede tener en su posesión solamente lo suficiente para un solo día (de 1 a 2 dosis).
  • El medicamento debe estar dentro de su envase original.
  • El estudiante debe tener un permiso escrito firmado por el padre/guardian dándole permiso para tomar sus medicamentos sin supervisión.

Medicamentos que el alumno tome sin supervisión por un periodo de más de quince (15) días consecutivos requieren Formulario de Autorización Para Dar Medicamentos actual orden médica firmada por el médico y padre declarando que el alumno puede tomar sus medicamentos sin supervisión.

Formulario de AutorizaciĆ³n Para Dar Medicamentos

Community Resources

Community Resources

24hr Crisis Line – 2-1-1

Call on any phone.

2-1-1 is ALSO a connection to resources in your community.
Free confidential information and referrals.


Helping families and teens in WA State find programs and resources. or call:
Family/Teen Hotline 1-800-322-2588

Health Plan Finder

855-WAFINDER (855-923-4633)

Free Medical Mobile Clinic

Northshore Baptist Church
Wednesdays 5-8:30pm 425-216-4480

Teen Support
Teen Link: 866-833-6546, 6-10pm daily
Online Chat 6-9:30pm:


11011 120th Ave NE, Kirkland

Energy Assistance


Food Assistance

Food Assistance

Free food program to buy groceries each month.
Call 2-1-1 to see if you qualify


A nutritional program for pregnant/breastfeeding women and children under 5yrs.
Each person enrolled gets up to $50/month of health food.
Call 2-1-1 or 800-322-2588

Summer Meal Programs:

Kenmore City Hall
18121 68th Ave NE, Kenmore WA
12-1pm Monday – Friday (July 8th–Aug. 30th 2014)

Emergency Food Needs: contact School Nurse

Food Banks

Hopelink-Kirkland (times vary)
11011 120th Ave NE, Kirkland WA

Hopelink-Northlake Lutheran Church
6620 NE 185th St, Kenmore WA
2nd & 4th Tuesday 4:30-6:30pm 425-899-7880

Inglewood Presbyterian Church
7718 NE 141st St, Bothell, WA
Mon - Thurs 9:30-1:30pm 425-823-9334

Canyon Hills Community Church
22027 17th Ave SE Bothell WA
Tues. 5:30-7:30pm 425-488-4121 (Registration Required)

Cedar Park Northshore Church
18737 68th Ave NE, Kenmore WA
Mondays 6:30-8:30pm 425-939-1377

Home Internet Programs

Internet Programs

Comcast: $10/month Internet for families who have children
in the National school lunch program
1-855-846-8376 $10/month, or $8/month with
purchase of a laptop for $149.

Century Link Internet Basics Program: $10/month
Laptops for $150

Back to School Resources

Back to School

Snohomish Public Health (Lynnwood)

Health Point Bothell:

King County Public Health:

School Supplies:

All schools have supplies on site – ask the school nurse
Clothing Bank “Threads and Treads”
Thursdays 4-6pm at Canyon Park Jr High
23723 23rd Ave SE, Bothell WA

Child Care Resources of King County
Can help you explore your childcare options:


Phone Number




Office Hours

7:30 a.m. - 2:30 p.m.
Monday - Friday